New domain and blog

New domain and blog
Please head over to my new domain to view my blog and current projects

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Cycling: Making friends with Kloof Nek

A few years ago when I was training for IRONMAN South Africa I used to do this ride and some at least three times a week before work. Back then I was fit and was training with a good group of guys.

Now after a few years with not much cycling, I decided to give Kloof Nek a try. For those that don't know, Kloof Nek is the road between Cape Town and Camps Bay. It's a relatively short climb, but gets rather steep in places and if you not ready for it, it can be quite tough. According to Google Earth, it is 4km long with a maximum elevation of 13% and an elevation gain of 235m. 
The view from the top is magnificent. To make it a bit of a longer climb, you can either turn right at the top and cycle to the top of Signal Hill or turn left and cycle along the face of Table Mountain past the cable way.

The ride down into Camps Bay and back along the coast makes the tough climb well worth it. 

Give this route a go and if you feeling energetic, cycle Kloof Nek, carry on and go over Suikerbossie into Hout Bay and then climb to the top of Chapmans Peak. The views from along the road and the top of all the climbs are amazing. When I'm fitter I will be doing that route and will get it up here. 

To download the Google Earth file, use this link.

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment